• Visa

    Q: What type of visa do I need to study at Donghua University?

    A: If you are accepted at Donghua University, you will be provided with admission documents to apply for a student visa (X1/X2 visa). You apply for the X1/X2 visa at your home country’s embassy.

    Q: What documents are required to apply for the visa?

    A: Donghua University provides admitted students with Letter of Admission and JW 202 form for the visa application. You need to further check with your embassy to see if other documents (e.g. bank statement, health check report or non-criminal record) are needed.

    Q: What is the difference between X1 and X2 visa?

    A: Generally speaking, if your study duration is shorter than 6 months, you will get an X2 visa. If your study duration is longer than 6 months, then an X1 visa will be issued. It is the embassy, not the university that decides your visa type.


    The duration of the X2 visa will be decided by the embassy based on your study period. X2 visa is a single-entry visa. The X1 visa is only valid for 30 days after you enter China. During enrollment, the university will guide you to transfer from an X1 visa to a Residence Permit (Study) of 3 years with multiple entries.

    Q: What documents are required to apply for the visa?

    A: Donghua University provides admitted students with Letter of Admission and JW 202 form for the visa application. You need to further check with your embassy to see if other documents (e.g. bank statement, health check report or non-criminal record) are needed.

    Q: Can I convert my tourist visa/other types of residence permit to student visa?

    A: No. If you are holding a tourist visa, you cannot convert it to a student visa. If you are holding other types of residence permit (study, work or family), please email us at cip@dhu.edu.cn.

    Q: If my visa expires, how to extend my visa duration?

    A: As the minimum study duration is 3 years, you will be provided with a 3-year residence permit. If you need to extend it, you need to apply through the CIP office at least 1 month (before the semester ends) in advance.

    Q: What if I lose/renew my passport?

    A: If you lose your passport in China, please inform the admissions office right away. Then, apply for a new passport at your country’s consulate. After you obtain the new passport, please contact the office so that you can get the visa done on your new passport.


    If you lose/renew your passport while abroad, please contact the CIP office in advance.

    Q: If I have obtained the X1/X2 visa, can I enter China early to travel before the semester starts?

    A: You are not suggested to enter China too early before the designated date of enrollment. This is because the validity of the X1 visa is only 30 days , if you come early and the university have not started the process of visa extension, your X1 visa might expire before you get it transferred to residence permit (study).


    If you want to travel in China earlier than enrollment, you can apply for a tourist visa. Yet, you will then need to go abroad and enter China with your X1 visa before enrollment.

  • Insurance

    Q: Does the University provide medical insurance?

    A: According to the regulations of the Ministry of Education of China, you are required to purchase 'Comprehensive Insurance & Protection Scheme for Foreigners Staying in China' offered by Ping An Annuity Insurance Company, Ltd. You will not get your residence permit done if you do not purchase this insurance.

    Q: How long will my insurance be and how much does it cost?

    A: It is required that the validity of insurance should be enough to cover your study duration, which cost CNY 400/semester. Thus, you should purchase for 3-year (6 semesters) at once on enrollment. After that, you can extend it by semesters.

    Q: Can I have my own health insurance?

    A: Yes, you can choose to buy your own international insurance besides the one offered by the university.

    Q: What type of hospital/clinic does the insurance cover?

    A: The insurance only applies to public hospitals and normal departments. International, private hospital or VIP clinics are not covered. You can check the list of hospitals and further details of the insurance here.

    Q: How does the reimbursement of insurance work?

    A: When you visit a doctor, please keep all the documents you get from the hospital and payment receipt carefully. You should submit the documents and receipt to the office. The office will help to submit to the Ping An Insurance Company, who will review your documents and decide the amount of reimbursement.

  • Scholarship

    Q: Does the university offer scholarships?

    A: The English-taught Bachelor’s program in Business is not covered by CSC/SGS scholarship. However, if your academic performance is outstanding, or if you are active in social works, student activities and clubs, it is possible for you to apply for different types of awards.

    Q: Will I get my scholarship in cash or will it paid to my bank account?

    A: The scholarship you win will be deducted from your next semester’s tuition fee.

    Q: What is the maximum value of scholarships?

    A: Chinese Government Outstanding International Student Scholarship can be up to CNY 18,000. DHU Outstanding Student Scholarship can be up to CNY 10,000. Excellent Social Work Award is CNY 1000/person.

    *Please check more details from here.

  • Academic Issue

    Q: Do I have to select the courses or are my courses arranged?

    A: You will need to do course selection by semesters after enrollment. Guidance will be provided based on the major you choose.

    Q: If I already selected major/course, is it possible to cancel or switch to another?

    A: You can change to other majors within 2 years (4 semesters) after your enrollment. For each semester, there is a deadline for choosing and switching the courses. You cannot change courses if the deadline has passed.

    Q: Can I enroll if I do not speak any Chinese?

    A: As this is an English-taught program and all staff can speak English, you do not need to worry if you haven’t learned Chinese before. Yet, Chinese courses are included in your curriculum for the first 2 years of 4 levels. You should complete the 4-level courses before graduation.

    Q: Can I enroll if I do not speak any Chinese? many credits should I achieve before graduation? Is there a way to graduate earlier?

    A: You are able to design your own study plan with 15-26 credits for each semester. The minimum study duration is 3 years as long as you meet the graduation requirements.     

    Q: Will I have chance to study abroad as an exchange student during my study?

    A: You can apply for an outgoing exchange program for 1 semester at universities that have a partnership with Donghua University (e.g. Erasmus University Rotterdam). If you are interested in universities beyond our partnership, it is still be possible if the courses provided are related and the credits can be transferred back. In this case, you need to consult the admissions office in advance, provide the introduction of the institution and provide the syllabus.

  • Accommodation

    Q: Does the university provide on-campus dormitory? What types of room can I get?

    A: You will be able to apply for on-campus dormitory after being accepted. There are double rooms and multiple beded rooms (for 3-4 persons) available.

    Q: Am I guaranteed with a dorm if I am accepted by the university?

    A: The dorm application follows the rule of first come, first serve. So it is highly recommend that you apply early after being accepted. You will be guaranteed a room as long as you apply before the deadline yet the room type may be adjusted if you apply late.

    Q: Will the dorm fee cover water and internet?

    A: The accommodation fee includes some free electricity and hot water quotas. Extra utility fees will be charged if the quotas have been used up before the end of the semester.

    Q: Is there Wi-Fi in the dorm?

    A: There is no Wi-Fi in the dorm so you will need to buy it on your own. During enrollment week there will be a booth settled near International Student Apartments selling SIM cards and Wi-Fi services by China Telecom Company. Free on-campus Wi-Fi is available in the teaching building, library and dining hall.

    Q: Can I choose to live off-campus?

    A: Yes, you can rent an apartment off-campus. If you come to China for the first time, it may be preferable if you live in a dorm for the first semester and move out when you get familiar with life in China.

    Q: How can I make sure the rental contract I signed is valid? Will the university help if I have disagreements with my landlord/agency?

    A: It is highly recommended that you make sure the contract is signed and stamped officially. If you are not sure, you can send a copy to the admissions office so that we can help you to check. Please also keep proof of rental payment every month. It is your own responsibility to deal with landlord/agency. However, the university can offer some basic assistance in communication and negotiation if needed.

    Q: Will it be expensive for me to rent an apartment near the campus?

    A: West Yan’an campus is located at the center of Shanghai and it may cost more if you want to find one near the campus. Also, rents vary strongly based on individual apartment’s characteristics such as quality of furniture, room space, and etcetera. Please check the reference price for different types of apartments here.     

  • Internship

    Q: Can I do internships/work in China on my student Visa?

    A: You are not allowed to any part-time work on a X1/X2 visa. Yet, for full-time degree students with residence permit(study), it is possible to do an internship with the Internship Visa.

    Q: How can I apply for the internship visa?

    A: Please check the policy and process of internship visa application from here.     

    Q: Can I do internship in my home country?

    A: Yes, you can do it abroad without an internship visa in China. The company should complete the evaluation form issued by the office to verify your internship duration and give comments on your performance.

    Q: Can the university help me in internship searching and career planning?

    A: Yes, the International Student Career Center (ISuCCeeD) is set to provide you with internship opportunities, career counselling, and job fair information.     

  • Follow Us